Motor sport organisations join wider sporting world in social media boycott

Several motor sport organisations have joined the wider sporting world in boycotting social media this weekend.

The boycott, which began on Friday 30th April at 15:00 and runs until Monday 1st May at 23:59, led by key English football bodies including the Premier League, is in “response to the ongoing and sustained discriminatory abuse received online by players and many others.”

UK broadcasters, including Sky Sports, BT Sport and ITV Sport, are all joining in with the boycott, meaning that neither Sky or BT will publish content to their F1 or MotoGP channels during the Portuguese Grand Prix or Spanish MotoGP weekend respectively.

On the motor racing front, F1 drivers including seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton, George Russell, Lando Norris, Daniel Ricciardo and Esteban Ocon are among those that have announced that they will join in the boycott.

In addition, The Race’s media outlets, including their own website and WTF1 have announced that they will not publish material on social media through the weekend.

In a statement, they said “While we are fortunate not to be subjected to disgusting hate and abuse on a regular basis like so many sports stars and celebrities are every day, we believe it is right to join those taking a stand to raise awareness and urging social media companies and relevant authorities to do more to combat this problem.”

“At times over the last year it has often looked like our sport has waited to be guided by world champion Lewis Hamilton on these issues, but it should not be up to Hamilton to carry the weight of these matters on his shoulders every time.”

Independent motor sport website RaceFans have stated that they are taking a similar stance.

No F1 team, or F1 themselves have joined the social media blackout. However, in a statement posted to their Twitter account, F1 said “F1 is wholly committed to combatting any form of discrimination, online or otherwise.”

“We support the actions of the Premier League and other sporting bodies and athletes in highlighting that more must be done to eradicate online abuse that they are receiving directly.”

“We continue to work with all platforms and our own audiences to promote respect and positive values and put a stop to racism,” the statement concluded.

One thought on “Motor sport organisations join wider sporting world in social media boycott

  1. As non sky subscribers I keep away from tweets, social media etc so I can watch highlights and not know what happened hence I did not even know there was blackout on social media. And to be honest I just want to watch race live the rest I have no interest in.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.